Facial fat grafting is a procedure to correct the signs of ageing like crow’s feet, sunken cheeks, fine lines, wrinkles, creases and under-eye dark circles. As the name suggests, the procedure involves injecting body fat into the desired area of the face to make it plump and give it a younger appearance. This fat is extracted from other areas of the body of the patient, such as the abdomen, thighs or buttocks. Therefore, it is one of the most natural facial reconstruction procedures available in the market as it uses a person’s own cells to improve his/her appearance.
How Facial Fat Grafting works?
Facial fat grafting procedure is a simple out-patient door procedure which is performed under local anaesthesia. Fat grafting is performed in the following simple steps –
- Fat is suctioned out from the pre-determined area like abdomen or buttocks, which is likely to have higher fat reserves.
- Using blunt tipped, thin tubes called cannulas, small amount of fat is suctioned out
- This same fat is then injected into the desired area on the face, into the tissue above the bone
- The grafted fat is massaged into place for it to acquire a more natural appearance and fill up the creases and sunken tissue
Who else can use Facial Fat Grafting?
Facial fat grafting is not only useful for plumping of aged skin and correcting age signs like line and wrinkles but can also be used for various other purposes such as –
- Replacing soft tissue volume loss due to disease or injury
- Lip augmentation and lip enhancement
- Reconstructing and raising areas with scar depressions
See the Before After photos of Dermal fillers-
Alternatives to Fat Grafting
There are several cosmetic facial fillers available in the market which can be opted as an alternative to fat grafting. These constitute of products like hyaluronic acid, calcium hydroxyl apatite and collagen. Juvederm, Perlane and Restylane are popular hyaluronic acid derivatives which are used as facial fillers in managing fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth.
Facial fat grafting may be an economical and natural procedure, but it has its risks too. Therefore, it should only be administered by the best facial plastic surgeon you can find. Alternative procedures that utilize dermal fillers can also be recommended by a professional expert, depending upon your specific needs. Dr. Debraj Shome is one of the best facial plastic surgeons in Mumbai, offering customized and highly effective facial reconstruction and plastic surgery treatments.