Eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty in Mumbai has gained popularity in the past few years as people have come to realize the need for specialized care for eyelids. In addition to having aesthetic significance, eyelid function is also consequential to vision quality and performance of daily activities. Therefore, Oculoplastic surgeon, who is essentially trained in both ophthalmology as well as plastic surgery, can only perform Blepharoplasty, ptosis or eyelid mal-position surgery.
What does eyelid surgery entail?
Blepharoplasty in Mumbai is largely offered as an aesthetic or reconstructive procedure. Excessive tissue bags under the eyes or sagging eyelids are corrected through eyelid surgery. Reconstructive procedures that restore functioning of eyelids by operating on the eyelid muscles are also covered under this specialization. Two types of muscles are most commonly operated on in eyelid surgery –
- Levator palpabrae superioris (used to lift the eyelid)
- Orbicularis oculi (used to pull down the eyelid)
Both these muscles are extremely delicate and need specialized care during and after surgery. With increasing age, these muscles can experience loss of functioning. Excessive body weight or drastic weight fluctuations can also affect the functioning of these muscles.
In addition eyelid cancer that affects basal or squamous cells may require surgical removal of cancerous cells from the eyelids. This in turn can impair eyelid functioning, which can only be restore by reconstructive eyelid surgery.
See Eyelid Ptosis Surgery Before After Photos-
Types of Eyelid Surgery
In addition to blepharoplasty, Mumbai oculoplastic surgeons offer two other types of eyelid surgeries. Thus, three major eyelid surgery procedures administered by surgeons are –
- Blepharoplasty: This is a primarily aesthetic procedure and is administered to improve the overall appearance of the eyes and eyelids. The operative procedure can be performed on the eyelid skin (hiding the post operative scar in the eyelid folds) or on the conjunctival skin (leaving behind no scars). Under-eye bags and even age related droopiness of the eyelids can be corrected through this eyelid surgery, making it an often opted option for older patients.
In addition, Epicanthic Blepharoplasty or Double Eyelid surgery is also performed in patients who have a missing supratarsal eyelid. It is commonly administered in patients from North-eastern parts of India.
See Blepharoplasty Surgery Before After Photos-
- Ptosis: In some patients one of the eyelids may have a mal-functioning Levator muscle that is responsible for lifting the eyelid up. This can be corrected by tightening the levator muscle through Ptosis surgical procedure. In cases where levator muscle can’t be corrected, Congenital Ptosis is performed which is a sling surgery involving the frontalis muscles of the forehead to perform the eyelid uplifting action.
- Eyelid mal-positioning: An eyelid may be mal-positioned due to a congenital defect or as a consequence of an injury. When the eyelid turns inward towards the eye, the condition is called Entropion and when it turns outwards, the condition is called Ectropion. In both scenarios, by tightening of the muscles and eyelid attachments, eyelid position is corrected.
Eyelid surgeries like mal-position correction, ptosis and blepharoplasty in Mumbai can only be performed by trained oculoplastic surgeons. Due to the sensitive nature of the organ which is operated on, it is always prudent to seek out the best professional help and opt for safe surgical procedures. After all, eyelid surgery should enhance your aesthetic appeal and improve your eye-functioning. So there is no harm in identifying the best care givers and surgeons in Mumbai before going ahead with an aesthetic or corrective procedure.
Eyelid Surgery Before and After
Eyelid surgery is also known as blepharoplasty. Eyelid surgery helps in correcting various cosmetic and surgical defects in the eyelids. Upper and lower eyelid surgery can help the patient restore the youthfulness of the eyes. Eyelid surgery can also help correct various facial inconsistencies such as droopy eyelids, dark bags under the eyes, and the heaviness in the eyes.
Before the eyelid surgery top oculoplastic surgeons like Dr. Debraj Shome will examine the patient for the extent of defect. Before the eyelid surgery you should give the surgeon your entire medical history and any other information such as your work conditions and smoking and drinking habits. Dr. Debraj Shome will discuss the expectation with you and also show you some before and after pictures to give you the clear picture of what changes to expect after eyelid surgery.
After the eyelid surgery you will see some visible changes in your eyelids and the vision of the eyes. After the eyelid surgery you will be able to see better without constant headaches. After the eyelid surgery the bags under the lower eyelids will no long mar your appearance. You will see a marked difference in the appearance of your face in before and after eyelid surgery. Eyelid surgery is a very safe and rewarding surgery.
Dr. Debraj Shome is amongst the most experienced facial plastic surgeons in the world, with many thousand eyelid procedures performed in his career. Dr. Shome has invented many new procedures for eyelid rejuvenation & treatment. Dr. Shome is co founder of The Esthetic Clinics ®, a chain of centers located in Mumbai, India.